Dear participant, thank you very much for participating in this survey!
Why this survey?
The EU has ambitious goals for a sustainable economic transformation. The European Green Deal is intended to transform the EU into a modern, resource-efficient and competitive economy, where there are no net emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050, economic growth is decoupled from resource use, and no person and no place is left behind.
The financial sector is crucial for fostering a more sustainable economy. The Sustainable Europe Investment Plan, the investment pillar of the European Green Deal, aims to mobilise at least EUR 1 trillion in sustainable investments over the next decade from private and public actors. The financial sector must also be involved in allocating additional resources provided by the EU and its Member States to mitigate the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Public financial institutions are indispensable for funding sustainable economic activities. They often have the mandate and required resources to help their clients thrive and become more resilient. They may have access to public funding for sustainable economic development, provided by the EU or governments. It is important for them to identify adequate investment opportunities and advise clients accordingly.
The EU taxonomy for sustainable activities can be a useful tool for public financial institutions. It was developed to help the financial sector direct funding to sustainable economic activities. Yet, there remain knowledge gaps as to how public financial institutions should and could use the taxonomy.
The European Sustainable Finance Survey 2021, initiated by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Saftey, hopes to contribute to the successful application of the taxonomy to promote a sustainable economic transformation by answering the following questions:
- How can and do public financial institutions use the taxonomy to promote a sustainable economy in line with the goals of the European Green Deal?
- Which opportunities and challenges does the taxonomy hold for public financial institutions?
- How well are public financial institutions prepared to seize such opportunities and to address challenges?
- How can the taxonomy be enhanced or complemented to support public financial institutions in promoting sustainable development?
- Which support measures are available or would be helpful?
- You do not have to be a taxonomy expert in order to answer the questions – all insights are highly relevant, even if your institution is not familiar with the taxonomy yet.
- The results of the survey will be published anonymously. Answers are not legally binding.
- Institutions that have subsidiaries whose operations differ significantly from those of the mother company, please answer separately for each relevant subsidiary.
- Associations that want to answer on behalf of members, please contact the survey team to organize an interview to discuss the survey questions orally.
- In case of any questions or concerns, please also contact the survey team.
Contact details of the survey team: